Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Scot's Honor

When I was in fifth grade, the girl who sat next to me in home room bragged that she was related to Pocahontas. I was absolutely green with envy; I was greenvy. I wasn’t related to anyone cool. And because, as we’ve discussed, I tend towards the dramatic, I was devastated.

That night at the dinner table, I informed my parents that they – and my entire ancestral line – had failed me. How could I be expected to compete with such greatness? I mean, Disney made an entire movie about Pocahontas. And what did I have? There were certainly no colors of the wind in my background, that’s for sure.

My dad tried to make me feel better by informing me that I was related to Mary Stuart – aka, Mary, Queen of Scots – but I was less than impressed. Did Disney ever make a movie about her? I think not.

Then I got a clue.

I started reading about Mary, researching her, doing a little fact gathering. Suddenly, I couldn’t read enough, learn enough, hear enough about her. To say that I warmed to the idea of sharing a bloodline with this woman, this queen, would be an understatement. I was so infatuated, in fact, that when I had the incredible fortune to be in Scotland 10 *cough* years ago, I made it my mission to immerse myself in all things Mary. (Not so surprisingly, there are a lot of Queen of Scots things to immerse oneself in while in the Land of the Scots.) In fact, my traveling companion and I even spent the night in a castle Mary once honeymooned at, where we encountered a snoring ghost – but that’s a story for another day.

The point is, I have grown to love her. And, consequently, I love pretty much everything to do with her. That said, I was still slightly skeptical when the CW started airing their Mary-centered show, Reign. First, it’s on the CW, a network that exists solely for the benefit of adolescent girls; and second, I knew that it was bound to be an historically inaccurate, brain atrophying, total cheese fest of a viewing experience.

I wasn’t wrong.

Who do I talk to about bringing back the corset?

But last weekend, on the recommendation of a good friend, I watched it anyway. And now, I can’t stop watching it.

I’m addicted. And ashamed.

It is absolutely, without a doubt, all of the things I thought it would be.

It’s also awesome.

There are castles, and jewels, and cute(ish) boys, and beautiful gowns. And Mary. It’s kind of amazing. It would definitely fall into the category of “so bad it’s good,” but I don’t think that makes it any less fantastic. Plus, it’s got Anne Shirley, from the 80’s Anne of Green Gables miniseries, playing an evil(ish) queen. Who doesn’t love that?! It’s brilliant!

From orphan girl to Queen of France.
Nice that they let her keep the same hairdo.


I do wonder how long the show can go on considering that, spoiler alert, most of its characters met premature and/or unnatural deaths in real life, but I guess that’s where the historical inaccuracy works to its advantage. Plus, if the 90210 kids can spend approximately 17 years in high school without anyone batting an eye, I guess anything is possible in TV land.

Listen, if you’re looking for a legitimate history lesson, look elsewhere (although, obviously, some of it is historically accurate). If you’re looking for Oscar-caliber performances, or highbrow entertainment, keep going. But if you want some mindless entertainment served up on a platter of historical “fiction,” you should definitely check Reign out. It’s sloppy and silly and melodramatic – and absolutely delicious!

And, although many of its plot lines are entirely fictitious, it does give one a good sense of what it was like to be a royal back in the day – when your land, your crown, even your life could be so easily taken; when royals had to actually stand – and fight – for something, as opposed to just being the well-dressed dolls that we see today. It’s fascinating.

It’s also a great way to kill an evening and a nice way to get to know my family a little bit better. In case you’re curious, we’re a kind, generous and regal people, but if you cross us, we may just have you killed.

It’s a Stuart thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment