Thursday, August 25, 2011

Nicolas Cage: Bad Actor or Bad Choices?


Lest you think that we here at All That Glitters are only critical of women, this entry should prove that we are, in fact, equal-opportunity judgers.

Today’s great debate centers on Nicolas Cage’s acting ability (or lack thereof). Sure, he’s won an Oscar, but if you pay any attention to this blog, you know that I don’t put much stock in the Academy. Until Johnny Depp wins his much-deserved, little-man statue, I refuse to believe that the Oscars are anything more than a well-decorated auction, with the award going to the highest bidder (which comes in the form of bribery).

But I digress…

The question before us today is: Does Nicolas Cage pick crummy roles in crummy movies, or does he make the roles and movies crummy simply by being in them? Sure, he’s been in some entertaining flicks; and, I’ll admit, there have been instances when, as I sat there watching one of his films, I’ve even forgotten how very terrible he is. I personally feel, however, that this particular anomaly speaks to the caliber of the supporting cast, and has little to do with the Cage’s actual talent.

I could be wrong, but I'm not.

I will contend, however, that it's slightly possible that his being Francis Ford Coppola’s nephew has nothing to do with his success. Perhaps his acting talents are at the same level as Colin Firth and Anthony Hopkins, other Oscar winners; perhaps the acting method he invented, “Nouveau Shamanic,” will in time come to be as respected as Stanislavski’s; and perhaps Leann Rimes could win a pie-eating contest.

All you Nicky Cage fans, though, take heart. After perusing Mr. Cage’s IMDB page, it appears that he has no fewer than six upcoming projects – which means, there will be no shortage of the Cage’s stilted speech and awkward hairpiece in the coming months.

Looks like Christmas has come early for some good boys and girls (with questionable taste)!

No comments:

Post a Comment