Sunday, September 4, 2011

How Did This Happen?

Ok, dear readers.  Confession time:  I often hate on famous women.  I know, I know.  It's very anti-feminist of me because we can never expect men to value us if we don't value ourselves... blah, blah, blah.  But the simple truth is I despise Katy Perry, largely on the grounds that she's a TERRIBLE role model for girls (one day I'll share my thoughts on Twilight).  And she's famous for "singing"  or what I call shout-talking over music.  Oh, and then there is her lack of fashion sense. 

Exhibit One:  Cheese Head
Let's examine Katy's body of work (or at least the radio hits).  I'll give you Firework, it's a catchy song with a good message but it might be the only one. 
  • I Kissed a Girl (dismissive of lesbians, appeals to men's desires to watch two women get it on, shocking lack of talent)
  • California Gurls (advocating sex in multiple public places, being hot and wearing almost no clothes, shocking lack of talent)
  • Teenage Dream (again with the tight pants, drunk/blackout sex, shocking lack of talent)
  • Ur So Gay (highly offensive lyrics both on quality and subject matter, use of text speak in non-text medium by a person over the age of 12,  shocking lack of talent
But the one that really gets to me is Last Friday Night (TGIF).  First, it's shockingly close to another song of hers, Waking Up in Vegas.  Second, songs about Friday night are played out (and Rebecca Black's song is better).  Third, she's bragging about getting black out drunk, having sex with strangers, and maxing out her credit cards.  Oh, and the video is a self-indulgent EIGHT AND A HALF MINUTES LONG.  And there is that shocking lack of talent issue. 

But what really gets me is that she wrote a song celebrating the joys of alcohol addiction and she's married to Russell Brand, a man who has struggled and is currently in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction.  I'm not saying Katy has to never talk about alcohol ever but to make money (serious money) and make light of the subject seems a bit insensitive.  Especially when Russell Brand just wrote a sensitive, thoughful, forward thinking essay on addiction.  

The trifecta: intelligent, funny & hot

And I really, really, REALLY wonder what she and Russell Brand talk about. 

KP: Hey babe, I just wrote THE NUMBER ONE SONG IN AMERICA. 

RB:  That's great babe!  I'm shockingly underrated in America.

KP:  My song is about getting black out drunk and not remembering that you had sex with a stranger and maxed out your credit cards and being super excited to do it all again in a week!

RB: One- I am talented and funny.  Two- I did crazier things in my binges.  Three- I'm in recovery from drug and alcohol use. 

KP: I have boobs!

Hmmmm... I may have just answered my own question....

Oh and Russell, don't worry about the American audience, we don't deserve you.  These people currently have the number two song in America. 
LMFAO?  Nope...

No comments:

Post a Comment