Thursday, July 11, 2013

Thanks a lot, Woody Allen

As we wait with bated breath for word that the most overrated woman in the world has finally dropped the most overrated baby, I’ve made the brave decision to carry on with life as usual. Yes, it’s exceedingly difficult to not obsessively hit refresh on my Google newsfeed, waiting anxiously for word that the world has finally been blessed with yet another parasitic progeny, but being an adult means oftentimes having to make the tough choices.

It was because of this heroism that I decided to leave my house on Sunday.

And, because he worried that, if left alone, I would continue to hit refresh on my phone incessantly, resulting in painful carpal tunnel, my dad decided to come with me. We were sitting side-by-side when it occurred to me that, though he’s 35 years my senior, thanks to the Woody Allens and Hugh Hefners of the world, people might come to the oh-so-incorrect conclusion that my dad and I were together. As in a couple. Yuck and yuck.  

We look somewhat similar, so I would hope that people would realize we’re related; however, it’s been said that people tend to be attracted to, and enter into relationships with, people who look similar to them. I can barely tolerate seeing my face on one person; I can’t imagine having to see it on two people (of course, I’m not a giant narcissist) but apparently this is a real phenomenon. Just ask Chris and Gwyneth.

The truth is, I’m not really into older dudes. I just can’t imagine ever dating/marrying a man old enough to be my father – especially when he is my father. Unfortunately, Woody Allen set a terrible precedent on this one as well.

And now, forevermore, a daughter’s relationship with her father is slightly tainted. At least in the eye of a confused public.

Thanks for nothing, Woody Allen.

No comments:

Post a Comment